The other day my son’s friend was over for a play date and we made this special vase for his Mom’s birthday. Not only was this DIY home decor craft easy, but it also was a neat way to offer a moment of pause in a very busy day. Offering your child a daily “pause” and/or reflection time can be a wonderful way to teach them how to self regulate and care for themselves. At first you may have to provide quiet activities and model quiet time for them, but in time they will be able to create it for themselves. This simple craft is a great first step to encourage the value of creating personal quiet time.
Not only was this DIY home decor craft easy, but it also was a neat way to offer a moment of pause in a very busy day.
Supplies Needed for a DIY Home Decor Vase:
- Any clear container (Mason jar, jelly jar, etc.)
- Tissue Paper (various colors)
- Corn starch
- Paint brush
- Paper Bowls
Directions for Building a DIY Home Decor Vase:
- In a container, mix 3T cornstarch into 1 cup of very warm water. Stir and set aside.
- Cut up various colors of tissue paper and place into separate containers.
- Wet the brush with the corn starch mixture and paint a little bit on the clear jar.
- Then apply pieces of the colored tissue paper on the clear container and gently paint over the tissue paper.
- Repeat this process until the jar is filled and set into the sunshine.
- When dry, place flowers in container and enjoy!
While you are crafting take a moment to notice what colors your child may choose for his or her vase. Offering a loving and quiet space can be an encouraging way to help your child create their own masterpiece. Of course, if your child enjoys talking, try and ask questions that would prompt inner listening and reflection. When your child is finished, they may keep the vase for their own quiet space or offer it to a friend.
Finding simple, yet mindful ways to spend time with your child can be the foundation for a healthy and happy life.