Crockpot recipes are already known for being simple. You usually just toss the ingredients into the crockpot, turn it on, and come back a few hours later to a cooked meal. But some of those recipes require you to prep the ingredients which take very little time, but time none-the-less. Then there are crockpot recipes that really are super simple, like a slow cooker salsa chicken recipe. This recipe has two different methods of prep, one super simple, and one a little more difficult. Either way, you end up with what is an amazing, one plate meal that everyone will enjoy.
Slow cooker salsa chicken is a very easy crockpot recipe that will impress during your next family dinner night or even dinner party.
You have surely made plenty of crockpot dinners. Your family has a list of favorites that you choose from weekly. But you also want to spice things up and there is nothing wrong with that.
In fact, you can easily spice things up with this slow cooker salsa chicken recipe. This recipe has two roads to choose from. The first option is to use store-bought salsa that has been premade.
You can obviously choose your favorite salsa from your favorite local grocery store. The other method would be to make your own salsa from scratch.
You will need a salsa recipe to go this route and the level of freshness will be amazing. But both options will give you amazing results. In fact, you will surely be adding this recipe to your digital Rolodex of recipes.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe Ingredients
The first thing you will need is the chicken. This recipe calls for 1.5-2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast. You will be shredding this chicken a bit in the end so it is important that there is no skin or bones.
Jasmine rice will help add some starch to the dish and you will need water or chicken broth as well. This is when you will need to decide if you want to make your own salsa or use a premade salsa of your choice.
Cilantro will help freshen things up and salt and pepper to taste. That’s it, it is that simple.
Spray your 4 qt or larger crockpot to prevent the rice from sticking.
Rinse and drain 3 cups of rice.
Add rinsed rice to crockpot.
Place boneless skinless chicken breast on top of the rice.
Add 3 cups of water or chicken broth.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Cover & cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. The chicken temperature needs to be 165-degree Fahrenheit. If possible, check at 2 hours to make sure rice isn’t dry. You can always add more liquid.
Once the chicken is cooked and rice is light and fluffy add salsa and cover for 5 or 10 minutes.
Plate and garnish with cilantro.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1.5-2 Lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 3 Cups Jasmine Rice
- 3 Cups Water or Chicken Broth
- Homemade Crockpot Salsa or Fresh Salsa of your Choice
- Cilantro Garnish
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Spray your 4 qt or larger crockpot to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Rinse and drain 3 cups of rice.
- Add rinsed rice to crockpot.
- Place boneless skinless chicken breast on top of the rice.
- Add 3 cups of water or chicken broth.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Cover & cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. The chicken temperature needs to be 165-degree Fahrenheit. If possible, check at 2 hours to make sure rice isn't dry. You can always add more liquid.
- Once the chicken is cooked and rice is light and fluffy add salsa and cover for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Plate and garnish with cilantro.