During my most recent trip to Napa with our partner Downtown Napa, I experienced a true one of a kind stay at The Inn on First. As a luxury bed and breakfast and inn they do what I love best – provide down to earth luxury accommodations for their guests. One of the ways they do this is by cooking for their guests so I wanted to share this gluten free lemon scones recipe with you. It comes from their own Inn on First cookbook.
I felt like family when I stayed at The Inn on First in Napa, a luxury bed and breakfast, and love this gluten free lemon scones recipe from their cookbook.
Jaime strives to make breakfast a new experience for each guest during each of their stays. So much so that he tracks what he makes for each guest to ensure they receive a unique dish whenever they visit.
This is just one of the many things that Jaime and Jim do to make each guest feel like they are family.
The biggest reason I do what I do in writing, is the people. I love connecting with and meeting new people and business owners.
Sitting down and talking with the owners, Jim and Jaime, affirmed the peace and comfort I felt when staying at The Inn on First.
So when I saw that Jaime had authored his own cookbook sharing some of the recipes guests enjoy while staying at The Inn on First, well, I couldn’t help myself.
I hope you enjoy one of my favorite recipes from their cookbook; this Lemon Scones recipe is gluten free, full of flavor and just enough to tide you over until you can experience Jaime’s cooking for yourself at The Inn on First and all the things to do in Downtown Napa!
Jaime’s recipe in his cookbook originally calls for cranberries. I swapped those out for cherries for a refreshing twist.
Cherries and Lemon Scones Recipe Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of kosher salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold, cubed
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 large AA egg
1 tablespoon whipping cream
Gluten Free Lemon Scones from The Inn on First Recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the dry mixture.
Rub the butter between your hands with the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
Add the fruit and zest to the dry ingredients and mix well.
In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and whipping cream.
Add to dry ingredients until the dough comes together into a single mass.
Knead until the dough just comes together, no more than 5 to 10 times.
Bake 16 to 18 minutes. Until they are lightly brown around the edges.
Gluten Free Lemon Scones
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/14 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp butter cold, cubed
- 1/4 c cranberries dried
- 11/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the dry mixture.
- Rub the butter between your hands with the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add the fruit and zest to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and whipping cream.
- Add to dry ingredients until the dough comes together into a single mass.
- Knead until the dough just comes together, no more than 5 to 10 times.
- Scoop out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in small lumps with a 1/8 cup ice cream scoop or use a large spoon, and using your hands, gently form into small lumps.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes. Until they are lightly brown around the edges.