Chocolaty dairy free cupcake! This is a quick and easy recipe that is made without eggs, milk, or butter. This super chocolatey cupcake is made with Aquafaba which is the liquid juice drained from Garbanzo beans and is used as the egg replacer for baking.
It’s hard finding good chocolate dairy free cupcakes but thanks to aquafaba and a little imagination, we may have found the best one yet. Dairy is the enemy to many of us and that usually means we don’t get to enjoy chocolate as much as we once did or ever.
Luckily, there has been major strides in the foodie community that have found ways around the dairy aspect of chocolate desserts. You can use Aquafaba as a workaround the dairy allergy.
Using Aquafaba, you can enjoy these delicious, chocolate dairy free cupcakes without any issue. People are a bit skeptical about Aquafaba because it isn’t very common. But dairy free dieters are very familiar with it since it is a great option and doesn’t change the taste of things like chocolate cupcakes.
Chocolate Dairy Free Cupcakes Ingredients
Even the idea of making dairy free recipes that involve chocolate seems a bit scary. But the ingredients are the key to making dairy free cupcakes, dairy free anything. The goal is to find a substitute for the dairy ingredients and Aquafaba is that substitute.
You’ll still use flour and sugar, the cocoa powder will give you the chocolate you crave and the other basics will be things like baking soda, vanilla extract. To make these even better, you can add dairy-free chocolate chips like Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chips. Makes 24 cupcakes or one 13×9 inch cake
To make Aquafaba: 3 tablespoons unbeaten liquid from Garbanzo beans is equal to 1 egg. Drain liquid from a can of Garbanzo beans. I used a hand mixer and blended the bean juice needed for this recipe for about 4 to 5 minutes until the liquid became white and fluffy.
In a large mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until well blended.
Add oil, vanilla, water and the fluffy white Aquafaba to the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is well combined.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan.
Fill 24 cupcake liners two-thirds with batter.
Sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips to the top of batter prior to cooking to add more chocolaty yumminess.
Bake 20 minutes. You can tell the cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If you prefer mini cupcakes, then the baking time will be 9 to 11 minutes.
For a 13×9-inch cake then bake for 35-40 minutes.
Living a dairy free lifestyle isn’t as hard as it may seem at first. There are plenty of dairy free recipes that you can enjoy. You can have an amazing dairy free breakfast, lunch and now you can even have chocolate cupcakes. Dairy free truly isn’t as bad as you think.
Dairy Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sunfloweroil or canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 9 tbsp Aquafaba equal to 3 eggs
- 10 oz bag of Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chips dairy, nut, & soy free
- 3 tablespoons unbeaten liquid from Garbanzo beans is equal to 1 egg.
- Drain liquid from a can of Garbanzo beans.
- I used a hand mixer and blended the bean juice needed for this recipe for about 4 to 5 minutes until the liquid became white and fluffy. The aquafaba cannot be overwhipped, so whip away.
Chocolate Dairy Free Cupcakes Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until well blended.
- Add oil, vanilla, water and the fluffy white Aquafaba to the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is well combined.
- Fill 24 cupcake liners two-thirds full with batter.
- Sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips to the top of batter prior to cooking to add more chocolaty yumminess.
- Bake 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
More Dairy Free Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Recipe | Chicken fajitas seems like an obvious dairy free recipe, just leave out the cheese. But there is a little more to it than just the cheese.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes | Pumpkin pie is simple to make and can easily be made without dairy so you can enjoy as much as you’d like.
Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole | finding dinner recipes that have zero dairy in them can get a little difficult but this one is an easy choice.
Dairy Free Lunch Ideas (25+ Amazing Recipes) | Lunch is often when people struggle and slip up because they are looking for something quick and easy. Luckily, there are some recipes you can meal prep for such an occasion.
Instant Pot Keto Chili – Without Beans + Dairy Free | Chili is a classic and easy dish that can be tossed together even quicker with the help of an Instant Pot.